Ultimate Northern Vietnam Food Tour with Chef Ha Nguyen
Size: 2 – 16
Ages: from 12 years old – children must be accompanied by their parents
Duration: 9 days 8 nights
Travel location : Hanoi, Ha Long, Hue and Hoi An
Dates: Per your request. Call Chef Ha – 0408 217 899 for obligation free quote.
Join our Ultimate Northern Vietnam Food Tour to see the best of Vietnam
Join us on a Northern Vietnam Food Tour where you will discover charming people, vibrant streets and incredible flavours. This private-guided tour will see you enjoying some of the finest Vietnamese foods and drinks, experiencing exciting cooking classes and exploring local markets. With ample time to explore attractions and relax in your luxury 5-star hotel accommodation, this is truly an unforgettable Vietnam food tour experience.
- Discover the magic of Hanoi’s Old Quarter and French Quarter
- Streets of Hanoi cooking class at the Hanoi Cooking Centre
- Overnight luxury cruise on the waters of World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay
- Explore Hoi An’s fabric and tailor markets
- A Hoi An culinary experience at Miss Vy’s Cooking School
- 9 days 8 nights Vietnam culinary tour with options to do more
- Option to include Ultimate Southern Vietnam Food Tour.
- Join Chef Ha Nguyen – Director of Otao Kitchen – limited dates March/April or October/November departure – surcharge applies.
- 24/7 on-call service crew in Vietnam
- Flight and transfer Hanoi – Hoi An
- Stay at luxury Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi Hotel
- Stay at luxury Anantara Hoi An Resort – Hoi An
- Most meals and some drinks
- Some free time to explore on your own.
- OPTION – Freedom travel as a couple and private group anytime with our trusted local guides. CALL CHEF Ha 0408 217 899
ON THE TOUR
Ultimate Northern Vietnam Food Tour – 9 Days 8 Nights
Day 1: Flight to Hanoi Vietnam (D)
- Arrive in Hanoi and private transfer to your hotel – see our flight notes
- Stay two nights at the Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi Hotel
- Start your culinary adventure with dinner at KOTO Restaurant founded by Vietnamese-Australian Jimmy Pham, who started this hospitality training centre to educate street kids and give them job opportunities
- Here you will enjoy modern and traditional dishes and great Hanoi beer, including Nộm Hoa Chuối Banana Flower Salad and Gà Nướng barbecued chicken.
Day 2: Food Tour and Cooking Class by Hanoi Cooking Centre (B/L/D)
- You start the next morning with an aromatic bowl of pho (noodle soup) at the hotel, before exploring Hanoi’s Old Quarter, people-watching in a café or enjoying a rice-wine tasting
- Taste super sweet Vietnamese coffee, black sticky rice and betel nut on a street food tour. Afterwards, take a city tour and see sights like the remarkable Temple of Literature and One Pillar Pagoda (coach tour)
- Move on to lunch at the bustling Đồng Xuân Markets, where the city’s best street food – like Bún Chả Barbecued Pork Noodle or Nem Cua Bể Crab Spring Rolls – is just begging to be eaten.
- Then cook up some of Hanoi’s classic dishes in a cooking class and eat the bounty for dinner in the leafy surrounds of the Hanoi Cooking Centre (2:30pm – 5:30pm)
- To cap off an excellent night, experience something well off the tourist trail – sipping tea in a hidden Hanoi teahouse in the old quarter before heading back to your hotel
- Meals included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 3: Hanoi – Ha Long Bay (B/L/D)
- Leave Hanoi behind and journey through the countryside towards Ha Long Bay. Arriving just before lunch, you’ll embark on a traditional Vietnamese junk boat
- Set sail on emerald-green waters, gliding between limestone karsts and soaking in the old-world tranquillity that is unique to Ha Long Bay
- Visit the fishing village of Cửa Vân, which bobs colourfully on the water, go kayaking around the still waters or explore the limestone caves that are dotted around the bay
- After returning to the boat in the late afternoon, you can sharpen your culinary skills at our cooking class performance conducted by our energetic chef. You can give him a helping hand anytime and try your skills in preparing special Vietnamese dishes. The boat cruises slowly with the evening sun to its mooring point
- If not now, when then is it time to enjoy a massage or at least to enjoy a drink – in the miraculous descending sun – on our sun deck (massage fee & drink fee is not included in tour cost)
- Sleep soundly on gentle waters
- Meal included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 4: Ha Long Bay – Hanoi – Hue (B/L)
- For early risers complimentary tea, coffee and pastries are served in the restaurant. If you so desire – a Tai Chi Class on the sun deck (07:00am). A great morning activity to feel one with this natural wonder
- Then it is time for an early morning swim – in the bay. By tender boat we bring you to a natural white sandy stretch. Sporty ones can also climb up to a hill top to have a lasting view from above over Ha Long Bay before we return to the boat and cruise slowly back to Ha Long City, passing picturesque areas like the Tam Cung Cave and Poem Mountain
- During our trundle breakfast is served before we arrive at the shore at around 11:00am. The crew will bid you farewell and you disembark with our tender boat to Tuan Chau Marina, meet the driver and guide to transfer you back to Hanoi for a flight to Hue – Vietnam’s last feudal capital. This small and quiet city is widely known for its magnificent architecture, pagodas and royal tombs laid in many small villages and surrounding hills
- Overnight stay in Hue
- Meal included: Breakfast, Lunch.
Day 5: Visit Emperor City Hue (B/L)
- With the Perfume River running through it, Hue is a beautiful city with a rich culture and much talked-about cuisine. This former royal capital is a treat for the tastebuds so get stuck straight in by breakfasting on the local specialty, Bún bò Huế Beef and Vermicelli noodle broth
- Then, stretch your legs on a walking tour around the city exploring Hue’s fascination Imperial Citadel and the striking Thien Mu Pagoda. After a long day exploring the sights, perhaps tuck into an imperial-style street banquet
- Taste dishes like Bánh Khoái Crepe stuffed with prawns and pork Nem Lụi marinated minced pork and salad rolled in rice paper or bánh bột lóc rice dumplings filled with prawns and pork and be in food heaven while the bustle of the city passes by
- Meal included: Breakfast, Lunch.
Day 6: Hue – Hoi An (B)
- Eating at Hue’s Dong Ba Market is a great breakfast option as you can also explore the myriad of stalls selling all the flavours of Vietnam
- Perhaps buy some moreish Mè Xửng Sesame and Peanut Toffee to fuel the dragon boat ride down the Perfume River to the picturesque tomb of Vietnam’s last emperor, Tự Dức
- Say farewell to Hue, travelling past luscious rice paddies and over the Hai Van Pass to the extraordinary city of Hoi An
- Meal included: Breakfast.
Day 7: Hoi An Farming and Fishing (B/L)
- Today will be dedicated to learning about traditional Vietnamese farming and fishing techniques starting with a bicycle ride to Phuoc Hai fishing village to meet locals before moving to the Duy Hai fish market to purchase seafood and learn about the production of fish sauce
- We then get to try paddling the round bamboo boats and learn how to cast a traditional fishing net
- Next, we travel to the Cam Thanh rice farm to meet the farmers and get hands-on experiences of sowing, growing and harvesting rice by hand and using water buffalo. We will eat with the farmers too before heading back to Hoi An in Vietnam food tour
- Balance of the day is at your leisure
- Meal included: Breakfast, Lunch.
Day 8: Hoi An Culinary Experience at Miss Vy’s Cooking School (B/L/D)
- Boat trip from “Vy’s Market Restaurant” to Hoi, a colourful central market. Tour of the market with an English speaking guide followed by an interesting and informative tour of Vy’s Market Restaurant, watching live cooking demonstrations with actual involvement and many food tastings (coach tour)
- Two-hour hands-on cooking class, lunch, recipes and a Vietnamese cooking utensil to take home
- Afternoon Free
- Dinner at Secret Garden Restaurant
- Meal included: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.
Day 9: Hoi An – Ho Chi Minh City (B)
- Guided transfer to Danang airport for your flight back to Hanoi or to Ho Chi Minh City to meet up with international transfer
- End of Vietnam food tour. The option to join us on the Ultimate Southern Vietnam Food Tour
- Ask us for a special 4 day tour in Ho Chi Minh City or a Cambodian Tour
- Meal included: Breakfast
BOOKING WITH US
WHY TRAVEL TO VIETNAM WITH US?
This trip is all about amazing food and drink, history, culture and sightseeing along the way – with no stress or hassles. Your tour is hosted by OTAO Kitchen Vietnamese director – Chef Ha Nguyen. Chef Ha is a Hanoi born, Melbourne-based chef with Vietnamese insights in culture, food and history. Please see our dates if you want to travel with Chef Ha – extra charge will be applied.
Your package includes 5-star hotels and resorts, all internal flights, tours, most meals and private bus, this tour is designed for those who want to see a different perspective of Vietnam.
We wander through the street of Hanoi tasting treats from vendors who have been making their specialties here for many generations. A morning walk through some of the fresh markets, then off to a cooking class in amazing locations, which will give you an insight into fascinating morning rituals.
At nights, we experience some of Hanoi Capital City, Hue, Hoi An Ancient Town, Mekong and/ or Ho Chi Minh City with eclectic dining experiences. Taste traditional foods and new foods plus enjoy the funkiest, innovative bars before and after dinner drinks.
In just over a week you will pack plenty of food, sights, sounds and adventure to make this a trip of a lifetime. All your accommodation, meals, transport and entrance fees are covered. The only extra is alcohol.
And there’s no reason to head home when you’ve finished the Ultimate Northern Vietnam Food Tour – you can join our Ultimate Southern Vietnam Food Tour. Because we will have both tours running with a few days break in betweeen.
Or an option for you to come back to Vietnam, you could head North to South to have a perfect finish to your Vietnam adventure. Ask us today for a tailor-made tour of the South of Vietnam including a visit to the Battle of Long Tan site.
- Friends and family – Let us help you plan your perfect Vietnam holidays – whether it’s a Vietnam private trip for your family or a special food experience and adventure for a group of friends!
- Universities and schools – Let us help you with cultural and language to volunteer or educational ideas. Vietnam is great places to visit and learn. It is close to China, Laos and Cambodia. We take your students to this region for longer and shorter customed trip.
- Corporate – Interested in launching a new business or already in the market but looking to expand? Let Otao Kitchen crew in Saigon and Hanoi start working to build your connection with government officials and potential partners now.
- Planning a Hens and Bucks Party or Wedding in Vietnam?- Otao Kitchen can plan hens and bucks food experience party with our local connections to give you more bang for your buck. We have exclusive partnerships with premium venues in Vietnam. Our personalized party planning service is free and offers truly unique experiences.
- Of course we do or support your project? With expert working with local partner or take donors to see your conservation, educational, or charitable efforts first hand.