Private food tour and cooking experience is the best things to do in Melbourne when it comes to Victoria Street restaurants and Richmond food culture. Our eateries are constantly evolving and some have stood the test of time. Victoria Street is home to some of Melbourne’s first and finest Vietnamese restaurants. On the Victoria Street Food Tour, you will be immersed in Vietnamese, Thai and Japanese food and culture.
On the Private Food Tour and Cooking Experience, you will be meeting at Minh Phat Supermarket 2-8 Nicholson St Abbotsford VIC 3067 and visit five to six venues, with a break in between. Private Food Tour and Cooking Experience does involve walking, so please wear comfortable shoes and bring an umbrella on rainy days. The walking tour will conclude at OTAO Kitchen Cooking School for a refreshment drink before cooking lesson.
If you’re looking for a few hours of fun on the weekend, to meet new people, or to discover new things about your neighbourhood, the Victoria Street Food Tour is the perfect thing for you to do.
- Your own private chef and exclusive use of the OTAO Kitchen Cooking School venue
- Private Market Tour and Cooking Class guided by your chef
- Use of all cooking equipment and utensils, including apron
- The freshest quality food and ingredients all provided and locally sourced on the day from the Victoria Street food markets
- Complimentary refresher drinks throughout the class, plenty of food and a bottle of sparkling wine to enjoy it with
- Your choice of menu (gluten-free and other dietary options can be catered to). Your chef will discuss your requirements with you.
ON THE DAY
PRIVATE FOOD TOUR
Beginning at an authentic Asian grocery store, Minh Phat, learn how to pick the best products and get inspiration for composing your gourmet Vietnamese, Thai or Japanese menus. We then head off down Victoria Street for the rest of the tour. Here you may see some Victoria Street restaurant owners shopping for fresh fruit and vegetables for their restaurant. Along the Victoria Street Food Tour, you will gain insight into the history of Richmond and be introduced to the best bakeries, grocers, fishmongers and kitchen tool stores. You will discover fragrant fresh herbs, tropical fruits and seafoods and have the chance to ask about some exotic ingredients. You’ll also learn how Vietnamese, Thai and Japanese recipes are made and sample some of the popular dishes from our local restaurants.
- Location to Meet: at Minh Phat Supermarket 2-8 Nicholson St Abbotsford VIC 3067
- Location to Finish: at OTAO Kitchen 360 Victoria Street, Richmond
Discover where our chefs shop for the best fresh fruit and vegetables, seafood, meat and essential pantry ingredients. Then back to the cooking school for hands on preparation of a selection of classic Vietnamese dishes. You will eat what you cook with complimentary beers, wines and refresher. Some of Vietnamese dishes that you can expect to cook. Alternatively you can send us a list of dishes you like to cook.
- Chả giò – Spring rolls – Vegetarian or Pork
- Goi Cuon – Fresh Rice Paper Rolls | Nuoc Cham – Fish sauce dip
- Cha Tom – Sugar Cane Prawn
- Bo La Lot – Beef in betel leaf
- Hoanh Thanh – Wontons
- Banh xeo – Saigon pancake and stuffings
- Bun Thit Nuong – Pork and Vermicelli Salad
- Chè Trôi Nước – Sweet Glutinous Rice Dumplings.
OTHER THINGS TO DO IN RICHMOND ON THE DAY
- Dine along Victoria Street’s Restaurant strip
- Walk or ride along the Yarra River Trail
- Visit Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre with IKEA
- Find a bargain along the Bridge Road Shopping Precinct
- Enjoy a beverage at one of the many pubs and bars
Come along by yourself and meet like-minded new friends or get a group together and share the experience of the Victoria Street Food Tour.